Not happy with your Matric Results? Here are your Four Options

Matric upgrade 2018 supplementary exams – If you are not happy with your Matric Results, then you can do something to improve your results. Here are the four key options you have:

1. Get a Re-Check for your exam papers

2. Get a Re-Mark for your exam papers

3. Apply to Re-Write some subjects (Supplementary Exams)


4. Study something that does not require Matric

1. Get a Re-Check of your Exam Papers

When you ask for a re-check, it means that your exam papers will get checked for marking errors. Were all your marks properly counted? Were the added up correctly?

If you want a re-check, then you must move fast. You must apply for a re-check at your school or department of education district office.

The deadline is 19 January.

So you don’t have much time. The fee is R21 per paper that you want re-checked.

2. Get a Re-Mark of your Exam Papers

If you ask for a re-mark, then your paper is marked a second time.

The fee for a re-mark is R92 per paper that you want re-marked.

The deadline is 19 January.

If you want to view your exam papers, then you can only do that AFTER the re-mark or re-check.

You must apply to view your paper within seven days after the release of the re-mark or re-check. Viewing your paper will cost R180 per paper.

3. Apply to Re-Write some Subjects (Supplementary Exams)

There are supplementary (second-chance) exams for 2017 Matric students in February and March of 2018. The closing date to apply for a re-write will be in January. So if you want to re-write, then apply for the supplementary exams now.

Don’t wait!

The closing date to apply for supplementary exams is 19 January 2018.

Check if you qualify to write supplementary exams

You can write supplementary exams if you:

a) failed up to two subjects,

b) had medical reasons for missing your November exam dates,

c) do not have marks good enough to enter Higher Education (this is your chance to improve your marks and get that Bachelor’s Pass you want!)

d) had traumatic personal problems like a bereavement, during the November exams

Get all the details on the Department of Basic Education website.

What If you Do Not Qualify for the Supplementary Exams?

If you do not qualify to write the supplementary exams, then your options are:

  • Go back to school. Re-do your matric year as a full-time school student. For this you must be younger than 21 years.
  • Study part-time at a Public Adult Education Centre.
  • Do the mid-year Adult Matric Exam.
  • Register for Vocational training at an FET or TVET college.

Department of Education Matric Upgrade 2018

Department of Basic Education – Supplementary Exams 2018

4. Go Back To School

Your school is getting ready for the new Matric Class. So you have to meet with you school principal and your old teachers, and ask them really nicely to find a space for you as well.

Remember: Your school does not have to take you back.

If you understand why you did badly last year, and if you can avoid those things this year, then going back to school might be your best option.

Yes, you will feel bad going back to school. But one day you will look back and realise that one year is not a lot of time. And it will be your most valuable investment in yourself.

5. Do the Mid-Year Adult Matric Exam

This is called the Senior Certificate (Amended).

NOTE: You cannot gain University entrance with a Senior Certificate (Amended) qualification. If you get your Senior Certificate (Amended), and you want to go to University, then you must apply for age exemption through Universities South Africa (USAf:

Matric College is a distance learning college that offers a wide range of matric course options that you can study from the comfort of your own home. They also offer valuable information for anyone who would like to learn more about matric and the different options that are available, such as the difference between Senior Certificates, National Senior Certificates, Amended Senior Certificates and even Adult Matric by Distance Learning.

Do You Qualify to Write the Senior Certificate (Amended) Exams?

The following are the rules to get access to the Senior Certificate (Amended):

  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older who have:
    • a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC); or
    • a Grade 9 school report (or the old standard seven), stating that they have passed Grade 9 or Standard 7; or
    • a recognised equivalent qualification obtained at NQF 3 Level which requires two official languages.
  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete Senior Certificate qualification.
  • Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate and whose School-Based Assessment (SBA) validity has expired.
  • Only in exceptional cases, out of school youth, who are 18-21 years old and who could not complete their school education due to circumstances beyond their control, as verified by the Head of Department in the Provincial Education Department.

Opting to study Adult Matric through Distance Learning is a great choice for adults who need to be able to work and study at the same time. This is because you can set your own study schedule

The Senior Certificate (Amended) Exams

Candidates that qualify to write the amended Senior Certificate examination will write the examination in June/July 2018. Candidates writing the amended Senior Certificate will be exempt from School Based Assessment.

This means that the examination results will constitute 100% of the final mark. So there is no “year-mark” from your school.

Examinations will be administered at designated examination centres determined by the Provincial Education Department.

Read more about the Senior Certificate (Amended) here.

Marks Required to pass the  Senior Certificate (Amended)

A Senior Certificate will be achieved by an adult candidate who satisfies the following requirements in these examinations:

  1. Pass three subjects at 40%, one of which must be an official language at Home Language level.
  2. Pass two subjects at 30%, one of which must be an official language at First Additional or Home Language level.
  3. Obtain a subminimum of 20% in the sixth subject.

6. Study Something Else

Maybe matric is just not your thing. There are many courses you can study at public TVET Colleges and at Private Colleges, where you don’t need Matric to gain entry.

Read here about 16 accredited college courses you can start without needing matric.

Here is a list of Public TVET Colleges.

Here is a list of Distance Learning Private Colleges.

Read here about your many other options.

Once you have completed your matric you will have the opportunity to study further. For example, you could choose to study one of the accredited General Management Courses offered by Bellview Institute of Distance Learning.

A General Management Qualification will not only provide you with the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to successfully manage a business, but will also open up a wide range of employment opportunities as the qualifications are both nationally nd internationally recognised.

Contact Us